The Stepmother by Claire Seeber

The Stepmother: A gripping psychological thriller with a killer twist - Claire Seeber

The perfect wife. A fairytale family. Don’t believe your eyes…

Jeanie and Matthew are a happily married couple who both have teenage children from previous relationships.

No one said it would be easy to raise a blended family under one roof but Jeanie and Matthew are strong. They will make it work.

And whilst Jeanie’s step-daughter Scarlett rejects her, Jeanie will just have to try harder to win her over.

But Jeanie has a past. A terrible secret she thought she’d buried a long time ago. And now, it’s coming to the surface, threatening to destroy her new marriage.

Someone is playing a terrifying game on Jeanie and she must put a stop to it once and for all.

After all, a fairytale needs a happy ending … doesn’t it?

*I've got this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review*

I think first of all we have to clear one thing out. It is NOT a psychological thriller, it is most definitely far from that. Although it could have been a great one if it was done well. However the writing style was so juvenile, that it reminded me more of a young adult contemporary than the psychological thriller.

At some points I forget that I was reading about an adult woman with a grown up son. Because she acted like a teenager. Jeanie, the main character, was so weak-minded, didn't have her own opinion, couldn't defend herself and her family. I just couldn't stand her.

Other characters also didn't give any charm to this book. Everyone were horribly done. The sister of main character were selfish, talked about how her sister deserves the best from people, but at the same time, she just neglected her.

The plot of this book was all over the place. Also the ending and revealing of the "big secrets" that Jeanie had were so anticlimactic that it almost made me laugh out loud.

WARNING: there are some parts of this book that can be triggering for some people who have problems with suicidal thoughts, depression, some sort of medication addiction.

Do I recommend it? No